Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Small Mannequin


What size person originally wore this dress?

As I've decided my patterning technique will need to include a good deal of draping, I need a better mannequin to drape on than the historic one we took the photos with. I have brought in a child's mannequin which I have shared with Vassar for several years. The proportions are not right at all, but with some padding it will be just fine.

Volunteer Lydia Palmiotti padded the mannequin up to the desired size: 34" bust, 21" waist, 36" hips, full front length 14", nape to waist 12.5". In fact, even this child's mannequin has a waist that is larger than the desired 21" for the original dress, so we will have to drape our pattern slightly larger, then size it back down as a flat pattern.

From Research Process Part 1 - 1910's Franklin Simon gown

No comments: